The Department of Sociology & Anthropology combines the study of people and cultures and produces students who are not only aware of the history and significance of humankind but who are also cognizant of how our actions impact the world in which we live.
Congratulations to Dionna Gandy,'16, winner of this year's Sartain award, and Cassandra Ceballos, '17, recipient of this year's Stewart Scholarship.
Congratulations to Dr. Jan French on receiving the Epsilon Circle of the Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK) Faculty Member of the Year Award!
- Grollman Article
Dr. Eric Grollman coauthored an article in the Sociological Forum journal, “The Social Costs of Gender Nonconformity for Transgender Adults: Implications for Discrimination and Health.” His research was profiled on GAYRVA.COM.
- French Receives Research Grant
Dr. Jan French was awarded a Franklin Research Grant from the American Philosophical Society. The grant is in recognition of French’s project, “ Criminal Responsibility of Indigenous People in Brazil: Reconciling Judicial Action and Anthropological Knowledge.”
- Ransom Receives Grant
Dr. Elizabeth Ransom was awarded a National Science Foundation Grant for her research project, "Women’s Empowerment, Food Security and Farm Productivity.."
- Professor recognized for dissertation
Sociology professor Eric Anthony Grollman recently was honored with the Best Dissertation Award in Mental Health by the American Sociological Association.
Scholar-athlete gives back to her Northside Richmond neighborhood through class and volunteer work
Bonner Scholar uses her Bonner summer of service and a Civic Fellowship to explore climate change in the South Pacific
A yearlong SSIR, two internships, and a summer of research on modern-day slavery helped focus Remi Pomaranski's interests in human rights
As a court-appointed special advocate, Katie Presson will represent children whose needs she understands very personally
Football player encourages Richmond kids to pursue athletic and academic aspirations
Burhans Civic Fellow reflects on her internship with a New York City Head Start program
A balance of classroom learning and community engagement informs senior's study of anthropology
Sociology Capstone Projects
Find Us on Facebook
- Remi Pomaranski, outgoing president of Epsilon Circle of the Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society presented Dr. Jan French with the O∆K Faculty Member of the Year award at the end-of-year University Faculty Meeting on Monday, May 9, 2016.
- Epsilon Circle of the Omicron Delta Kappa national leadership honor society selects Dr. Jan French to receive the O∆K Faculty Member of the Year award.
- The 31st Annual Student Symposium was held Friday, April 15, 2016. Natasha Shannon, mentored by Dr. Rania Sweis, presented her research, " Tea and TB: Bedouins in Jordan, Healthcare, and a Fifty-Year Mission." Molly Rossi presented her paper, "The Beautiful Minds: Exploring the Healing Potential of Self-Reflexive Art in Facing a Campus Community's Mental Health Crisis" and was mentored by Drs. Jan French and Elizabeth Outka.
- Jobs in Anthropology today..http://onforb.es/1pgPu82
- Dr. Grollman on finding a feminist community within sociology.
- "Spring Celebration" photographs taken March 29, 2016.
- Additional photos of the department's Spring Celebration featuring our alumni panel: Brittney Quinones, Ron Pritchett and Grace Leonard. Dr. Bedelia Richards-Dowden was the moderator.
- Dr. Jan French speaking on Alpha Phi Sigma, the National Criminal Justice Honor Society. Dr. Eric Grollman congratulates Brittani Brown, one of the newly inducted members.
- Dr. Jennifer Nourse introduces the newly elected members of Lambda Alpha, the Anthropology Honor Society.
- Newly elected members of the Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) - International Sociology Honor Society were inducted by Drs. Grollman and Ransom during the department's Spring Celebration on March 29.
- Cassandra Ceballos, 2016 Stewart Scholarship recipient with Mrs. Marilyn Stewart and Dr. Timothy Stewart.
- The Sartain award is given to a graduating senior who best exemplifies the qualities personified by Dr. Sartain: Scholarship, humanitarianism, integrity, and commitment to the ideals of the University of Richmond. This year's recipient, Dionna Gandy is shown accepting the award from Dr. Jeff Hass.
- The department’s Spring Celebration took place on Tuesday, March 29th. At this event we announced the winners of the Sartain Award and Stewart Scholarship and recognized honor society inductees. The department kicked off the evening with a panel of recent alumni from the Sociology and Anthropology programs. Pictured with Drs. Richards-Dowden and French are panelists, Grace Leonard, Brittney Quinones and Ron Pritchett.
- Spring Celebration tomorrow at 4:30pm in Westhampton Living Room. Alumni panel, awards, honor society inductions, and food! Hope to see you there.
- On Thursday, Dr. Grollman will be giving a talk at Hamilton College about blogging to make a difference in higher education.
- Save the date!
- Dr. Jan French discusses how the department landed #BlackLivesMatter co-founder, Alicia Garza, as a campus speaker -- Tuesday, March 22nd at 4pm in the Alice Haynes Room in THC.